The importance of the roof in protecting us from the elements of weather cannot be emphasized. There are different Kirkin Roofing materials found out there for your residential house. It is important to have information on what these materials are and their various pros and cons. This article therefore explains the various roofing materials found in the market and their merits and demerits.
- Asphalt Shingles They are the most common in the market representing 80% of the roofing materials. They have good wind and fire resistance and relatively cheaper. They are appropriate for most of the slopes. A major disadvantage with this material is that it is not eco-friendly and don’t last long. It means that your roof will need replacement most of the time.
- Metal This can be anything from aluminium, steel, and copper. The major advantages of metal materials is that they are lightweight, recyclable, and energy efficient. They are durable and can fit a variety of roofs. The main cons of metals is that most of the homeowners don’t like their looks and they are moderately priced.
- Plastic polymer Many new shapes in the market are supposed to resemble wooden shakes or slate but they are actually high tech plastic blend. They are appropriate for older homes that need repair.
The main advantages of plastic polymer is that they come in a variety of styles to meet the owners roofing contractors Delaware various tastes. They are also relatively durable. They have good fire and wind resistance. The main cons is that these shingles may not work well in all homes.
- Slate Is one of the most classic material and likely to be found in old homes. Slate tiles add elegant to most of these homes. The main advantages is that slate lasts for long time and is good for fire and wind resistance. However, the main disadvantage is that slate tiles are very heavy and expensive. They can only be used in Roofs that can bear their weight and only steeply sloped roofs.
- Wooden shakes They are typically made from cedar or any other wood. The main advantage is that wooden shingles give your home a natural look and add character and charm to older homes. However, unless they are well treated they are not well resistance to fire and have a short life span.
- Clay tiles They are seen oftentimes in succo homes. The tiles are heavy. They can give elegance to your home and give it an Italian or Spanish appearance. The main disadvantage is that clay is expensive and may not withstand heavy storms. Their weight requires a heavy and strong structure.